Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

September 12, 2020

The Customized Cross of Jesus

 



I've been thinking about and confronted with individuality all week long. It seems to be everywhere I turn. I'm noticing it more and more. Whether it be my own quirkiness, the strangeness of my cat MONTY or just the fabulous uniqueness of people I don't even know, it certainly is everywhere. And as I get older I find I'm getting even more peculiar. I think that's a good thing. It's not merely that we are different, but it's how extremely different we are. I can't help but think that it is all part of God's design.


 In fact, individuality is what originally made me decide to become a Christian all those years ago. I used to look at the cross of Jesus as something he did for all of mankind. That he was crucified in order to pay for the sins of all humanity as a general, generic thing. But then I heard evangelicals talk so much about "accepting Jesus as your personal savior" and became truly puzzled and even quite annoyed that they would be constantly harping on about it but never really being clear about what that truly meant. I was getting it confused with him being a customized savior. A god I tailor-made for my own personal needs. But if that's what it was, it wasn't for me. But now, as one of those annoying evangelicals, let me explain it this way.


When Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane and confronted with having to die on the cross the next day, the Bible says He was so afraid that he was actually sweating like blood. That his fear of doing it was so great that it actually led him to ask the Father to take the cup away from him and stop it. But that He ultimately yielded to the will of the Father because He knew his death and shed blood was necessary for all of us to be forgiven of every sin we would ever commit and would gain us access to the Father and eternal life. But then I continue to imagine it this way. 

 God the Father also reveals to Jesus that out of all the people who will every hear about his death on the cross only one person will ever accept it. Only one person will ever follow you. Only one person who will ever choose to become a Christian. And that person is Laura-Lee. She won't even be born for another 2,000 years and in a place that currently nobody even knows exists. I absolutely KNOW that Jesus would still have gone to that terrible, wonderful cross anyway. And He did it because of His love for me  personally

On the day you come to comprehend that truth for yourself, you will be forever changed. It is my deepest, deepest prayer and desire that this knowledge will hit your heart and mind with such a force you will have no other course of action but to fall to your knees and humbly accept this free gift from Jesus and begin your new life. Just like I did forty-two years ago!

A blessed Sunday to you my dear friends. Come and visit me here at my internet home anytime. You are always welcome.

Speaking the truth, with love,

Laura-Lee

Luke Chapter 22 Last Supper and Garden of Gethsemane


YouTube video song "Above All"















LAURA-LEE