Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

October 07, 2012

God Let Me Down – YUMMY !

If the Lord is the Lord of them
 
I joined Vancouver Christian Secondary School (VCSS) about 6 weeks into grade 8. Prior to that my family had been living in the Maillardville district of Coquitlam, British Columbia and it looked like there was no way that I would ever be able to go to a Christian school. During the summer we had seen an advertisement in the TV Guide for Christian Schools in the Lower Mainland. We were brand new Christians, but we put our faith in Jesus to the test and my family (me, my mother and my brother) started praying in earnest that God would find a way for me to go there.

Summer came and went and the new school year started. I had to start at my neighborhood high school and it was pretty obvious that God had completely let me down. But just when it looks like all hope is lost and there is no way that God is going to come through, He answers prayer in a way we would never guess.

In our case, our sleazy landlords rented the little house we were living in right out from under us. Mom was reading the newspaper and came across a Classified advertisement that seemed rather familiar. We all took a look and recognized the home up for rent was where we were currently living! The land lords were 'upping' the rent by $300 and the move-in date for the new tenants was only 2 weeks from that moment we saw the advertisement.
We desperately scrambled to find a new place to live, but very few home owners want to rent to a single mother with TWO teenagers. PLUS a dog. It looked like my little Maltese Poodle, Sweetie, might have to leave our family in order for us to find a place to live.
 
I had thought God let me down just because I couldn't go to a Christian School. Then, the rug got pulled completely out from under us and I was starting to question whether or not God even liked me.
But, within 1 more week, we had a new home (much, much nicer than the one we left) and my mother had been offered a new job with a promotion and pay raise.

The evening of "Move-Day" we were tired, dusty, surrounded by boxes and munching on Big Macs. Suddenly a thought hit me and I quickly got up from my dinner and went into my bedroom.
Mom discovered me about 5 minutes later with the top half of my body deeply submerged inside a very large box. When she asked, "What are you looking for?" I popped my red face out of the box and proclaimed, "I have it!"
In my hand was a map of the city and the little advertisement from the TV Guide listing the addresses of the Christian Schools. As my mother and brother joined me looking at the map, which was spread out on a kitchen counter I said, "I was just wondering if we are any nearer to a Christian School".
I discovered that we now lived only 1 mile away from Vancouver Christian Secondary School and since my mother had gotten a pay raise, we were able to afford the tuition.
That was the first of many times that I have eaten the words, " God let me down."

It says in the Bible, "But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." (Luke 12:31-32)

Even when I was angry and hurling accusations at Him, Jesus was working out a surprise for me. I spent all the remaining days of high school at "Vancouver Christian Secondary School" which I graduated from in 1985.

In grade 12, about 3 weeks before we graduated, my class started a discussion about the first day I came to school. All those who had been attending the school when I first arrived remembered it (maybe because it also happened to be the day of a field trip). It was very interesting to hear what every one's opinion of me was on that first day. What I remember most about it was how terrified I was. I don't think anyone even knew how scared I was or how much they intimidated me. But as I sat there in grade 12, preparing to go out into the "real" world and hearing the views of what kind of person I had become, I knew it was greatly because of those who were surrounding me at that moment.

My Science teacher, Mr. Van Oosten, wrote in my last year book, "Blossom wherever you are planted". I've tried to do that, but I know I couldn't have even attempted it unless I had been accepted and loved throughout my high school years. The faith and strength of purpose I had was given to me by the other members of VCSS who had started as friends and somewhere through the years had became family.
 
On this Thanksgiving, I remember them with gratitude.

Thanks to all of you for creating a 5 year oasis that allowed me to rest and grow into who I was mean to be. You did it without judgement and by demonstrating Jesus' love to me EVERY day. You are the "Blessings" I count.

Love Always, Laura-Lee (Thanksgiving, 2012, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

F.Y.I.: We didn't have to give up Sweetie, either. She lived with us to a ripe old age.

VCSS ALUMNI Twitter Page