Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

October 14, 2015

Mom's Legacy: Halloween Memories



A few months before my 12th birthday (in 1978) I became a Born-Again Christian. That was the last year I "celebrated" Halloween in any way. 
Whether it was because I started feeling I should have no part in it as a Christian or I became too old to go out "Trick or Treating or it simply was losing it's childhood innocence, I was ultimately destined to be finished with it as a holiday.

But as my grief for Mom fades I find myself remembering more about our past together. At this moment I remember the first time I didn't go out from door to door on Halloween.

We were living in a town called "Yellowknife" in the very northern parts of Canada where it can be very cold in October. Mom had just made me my "Princess Dress" that summer and I had been planning to wear it on Halloween. When the actual day came it was extremely cold but I got into my dress to go out just after supper. As Mom and I were getting ready to go out she presented me with my parka (a "Parka" is a very large & insulated winter coat). Then the battle of wills began based around my simple question: "How will anyone know I'm a Princess if my dress/costume is covered by a huge coat?"

I was only 6 years old but we began a large debate that came down to her ultimatum : If I don't wear my parka, I can't go outside. My stubborn will kicked in and I said, "Alright. I won't go out then!" She answered in her gentle, calm but firm as steel way, "Then you've made your choice."

I sat there for two hours brooding and punishing her by NOT going out from door to door, which I really actually wanted to do.

As it was approaching 9:00 pm Mom broke the silence between us and said, "It's time for bed, but I'll let you stay up later if you want to do some Trick or Treating".

I thought, "Aha. I finally won! It's about time she came around."
I quickly got back into my dress and then my face fell as I discovered her on the porch holding out not only my parka but a scarf and toque (aka. woolen hat) as well. I hadn't won at all. Because it had gotten even colder as the hours passed, now I would be completely covered from head to toe. 
As tears ran down my cheeks I whispered, "But how will anyone know I'm a Princess if I'm covered from head to toe? I want to go out but I just can't do it this way, Mom."

She got down on her knees in front of me, took me in her arms and said, "I'll make you a deal. If we go to the first house and they don't know what you are, we'll come right back home. If they do know what you are, we'll keep going on. But you'll have to decide quickly because it's getting late and people won't be handing out candy much longer".
I hesitated and hung my head.
She lifted my chin, looked into my eyes and said, "Trust your Mommy."

I put on the parka, hat, scarf & mittens. Grabbed my little bag (I had previously draw decorations on) and out we went.

I went to the first house and called out, "Trick or Treat" with my tiny voice. 
Mom said, "I'll help you, shall I?"
We called out again together. 
They answered the door, gave me candy, I said "Thank You" and quickly turned to make a hasty retreat back down the sidewalk. Suddenly Mom turned me back around and asked the neighbor lady who had answered the door, "Do you mind if I ask you, do you know what my daughter is dressed up as?"

The lady answered quite quickly, "Of course I do. She's a little Princess."

I was totally stunned. My dress was completely covered!

At the end of that house's sidewalk Mom asked me, "So. Do we keep going?"

We went to 8 homes and they all knew I was a "Princess". Except one man who said I was "An angel". 

Even at only 6 years old I was already showing my suspicious and mistrusting nature, so by the third home I was watching Mom carefully to see if she was giving them some kind of secret signal as to what I was. Maybe mouthing the word, "Princess" when she thought I couldn't see. She wasn't.

By the time we got back home I have to admit I was getting pretty cold, even in my parka & paraphernalia. 

As I was in my warm, flannel nightgown and Mom was tucking me into my bed I asked her simply, "How did they know? I don't understand how everyone knew what I was when they couldn't see the dress."

She answered simply, "A Princess is known by her face and her manners, not by how she's dressed. You are a princess."  
She clicked off the light, but as she turned to leave my bedroom she added, "However. I think the man who called you an 'angel' came closer to the truth."

~~ So I dedicate this story to all the "royalty" living among us, no matter what they may be wearing, how old they are and even if they don't realize it themselves. 

In my Princess Dress (1972)
At 6 years old
~~ Love Always, Laura-Lee