Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

January 10, 2013

WHAT MATTERS this year (2013)–Follow Up



Two days ago I wrote a blog post entitled, “What Matters this year (2013)”. I discussed several things from New Years’ Resolutions to the suicide of Amanda Todd to the old saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me”.

After my usual round about way, I actually got to a point: As easy (and prevalent) as it is to verbally rip someone down, it is even easier (and more powerful) to build someone up. That we need to control the words that come out of our mouths and brains and take just the effort to look for the positive and speak out about it.

And to wrap it up with a bow and “prove” that God and I think the same way, I ended my original post with a specific verse from the Bible.

“ Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” EPHESIANS 4:29

Yesterday, my mother and I also ended up in a discussion about the same thing: what potential our words have to do either good or bad.

Today,  I realized that the birthday of my friend, Sue, is coming up on January 23rd and I better get her ”birthday greetings'”  in the mail and out to her major quick.

Also today, as I was looking at my daily devotional called “Our Daily Bread”, I thought since Sue is going through some difficult times it might be a good idea to mail her the page in the devotional for the specific date of her birthday, January 23rd.
(The “Our Daily Bread” devotional includes a Bible verse for each day and a small story and poem to go with it. The goal is to encourage people in their daily lives and faith.)

So I flipped ahead to see what the topic for Sue’s birthday would be. The verse for January 23rd is Ephesians 4:29 and it talks about the same topic of controlling what we say in order to build others up. The same as my blog two days ago AND my conversation with my mother yesterday. (*NOTE: See original “Our Daily Bread” entry for January 23, 2013, below)

That is what we Christians call, “confirmation from the Lord”. I personally call it , “Jesus chiming in”. Some may call it merely a “coincidence”. But as I love to ask the question: “How many coincidences does it take before something ceases to be a coincidence?" Because things like this happen to me every day, all day: God making sure that I know he’s there. Whether it’s a “major” miracle, help at the split second I need it or simply him commenting on something that’s going on with me. Daily through my 34 year relationship with Jesus he has been showing up in some manner. So I ask again: “How many coincidences does it take before something ceases to be a coincidence?!”

God is a part of my life because I WANT him to be a part of it. He speaks to me because I take the time to ASK him what he thinks and Brother, if you want God’s opinion about something, He’s ‘gonna’ give it to you! Until then, He will stand at the door of your heart and knock.

“ Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.”
              REVELATION 3:20 

He gave you the right to choose, even if it means you choosing to reject and ignore him. What will it take for you to open the door and invite him in? Because until you do, you are missing so much. And I hate to see you miss out on the best thing that will ever happen to you. (It can be so cold ‘out there’ in the world alone.)


“If necessary, God will move heaven and earth to show us His will.”
(A “Life Principle” by Dr. Charles Stanley”) In Touch Ministries by Dr. Charles Stanley


page from "OUR DAILY BREAD" January 23

ODB Devotional Page for JANUARY 23, 2013
(can read it better at this link than in picture above)

REMEMBER: "Our Daily Bread" Devotional is sent to you Free of Charge. (no strings attached - I can vouch for that)