Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

January 08, 2013

Teresa Spence Hunger Strike is Terrorism

Let me start by saying that I have Metis blood in my French Canadian veins and a few native relatives and close friends in both British Columbia and Alberta.

BUT, I am very much distressed by the hunger strike of Native Chief, Teresa Spence. She began this strike with the main directive of seeking an audience with Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper. Or should I say, “forcing an audience with Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper”.

We have to start by asking, who is the Prime Minister? He is not a merely a person or a title. In a democracy, the Prime Minister has been voted into his office and in a very real way, he is, … US. The Canadian People embodied in one person.

So when Teresa Spence decides that she is going to do something to pressure him to give her an audience, she is pressuring all of us to meet with her at a specific time, a specific place and for a specific reason. Of her choosing. No matter how worthy her goal may seem, forcing the Canadian people to bow to her specific needs and concerns is an act of terrorism.

Also, in a democracy, there are many and varied ways to make our opinions known to those who serve us in office. Voting. Writing. Petitions. Court action. Lawful and orderly demonstrations. And on and on.

  But like a child deciding to hold her breath until she get’s her way, Teresa Spence has decided she wants what she wants … NOW! She is making herself sick because we Canadians don’t like to see someone sick and suffering.

Spence is using her own health to take my compassion hostage and forcing me (in the form of my Prime Minister) into doing something I don’t want to do. Check the dictionary. That’s called “terrorism”. It may be ‘TENDER TERRORISM’ behind the veil of a worthy cause, but that doesn’t make it any less morally reprehensible.

Just imagine if she gets her way (because it looks like she may). Anyone who isn’t getting enough attention and wants to have a little chat with the Prime Minister and doesn’t wish to do it the right way (like the rest of us usually do), well they can just hold their breath go on a hunger strike too. And if Teresa Spence is given into, who will be next to make a demand of the Canadian People?

Actually, now that I think about it, I don’t like that Canada Post doesn’t deliver my mail until in the afternoon. I think I’ll stop eating until Stephen Harper comes to meet me and makes sure I get my mail when I want it. Who’s with me?!