Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

March 17, 2021

Letter Writing Buffoonery: Edmonton Journal

 


This time I wrote a letter to the editor of my local newspaper, the  Edmonton Journal . The home of such events as minister James Coates being thrown in jail for disobeying COVID-19 lockdown restrictions at his church. This one issue is making worldwide headlines, as is some of our lockdown protests and LGBTQ court cases. The Edmonton Journal is ignoring them, so I decided to send them a letter.


"Our country, province, and city is exploding with anarchy and major issues in an unprecedented way and the Journal is covering Zoning Laws and Big Foot movies. If I want to hear what's going on in Edmonton I go to independent news sources with some as far away as the Middle East, India, and Australia where we and our government are the hot topics. Or I simply head to Youtube to see what my fellow Edmontonians have captured on cell phone cameras.

 I've been reading the Edmonton Journal for fifty years and I'm embarrassed by the implications that you (and your Canadian cohorts) are either incompetent or purposely covering up news and suppressing the truth. I don't like that you are looking like buffoons to the rest of the world. I might not be offended as a reporter, but I am because of basic hometown pride. Aren't you who work there? 

Sincerely, Laura-Lee Rahn
Edmonton, Alberta"


Whether you agree with my views or not you need to take the opportunity to let your voice be heard, while it still can be. It may sound cliché, but Canadians died in wars to keep us free and in generations past reporters went to prison because they wouldn't reveal sources and put themselves in harm's way to get at the truth. They deserve someone to speak up now or the "The true north strong and free" will be boiled down to just "north".

Sincerely, Laura-Lee