Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

March 10, 2021

Queen Elizabeth's Fickle Family and Followers

 



Being a French Canadian puts me in a unique position in regards to Queen Elizabeth. I've never thought of her as MY Queen yet I've grown up with her influence all over my life. From seeing her face on every piece of currency I've ever touched to listening to her Christmas speeches every year.

But when I look over her long life and the fifty-plus years I've been watching her I tend to look at her kindly and affectionately and even admiringly. Not because I have to or because I was brought up to but because she has EARNED it.

She was put in the line of succession when she didn't want it, didn't get to simply fall in love and choose her husband, given responsibilities that few of us can imagine or comprehend still as a very young woman. Then she lived out her public, private, personal, and professional lives putting herself and her wants and desires SECOND to her own.




Now, during the last few years (or perhaps months) of her life, she must continue to be the sole anchor of her ridiculous and rebellious family. At a time when she should be able to just take it easy and enjoy the company of children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren she has to continue to deal with their absurd, derisive shenanigans. And I have a hard time figuring out where her HUGE mistake was that would reap her these continuing consequences.




From scandal after to scandal to her own fickle subjects one minute admiring her and then the next admonishing her, while everyone in the world from the press to everyday people commenting and speculating on her every move. And NOT in very positive ways. Unless they happen to be in a good mood that particular day. And people wonder why she sometimes seems a bit distant and detached emotionally. If I were her I would have taken to my closet in the fetal position sucking my thumb years ago (Okay. Decades ago).

Now with this Harry and Meghan Oprah interview, all I can think is, "Why do this all publicly? If you want to abandon your family and country that's your choice, but just leave your Grandmother in peace? And if you have any problem with  'The Firm', which is also YOUR Family, that you feel is SO great you just have to say something, why not just pick up the phone and have a talk with whatever family member you have an issue with?" 

Just like the rest of us would do.

In the end, all I can give is my own humble opinion of this elderly, dignified lady. To finally add my voice to the other kajillion opinions for whatever it's worth. And I will say it as if I had the ear of the Queen herself.

"You won me over somewhere down the line and if I believed in having a Queen over me, I would pick you. Always remember no matter how old you are, how many family members abandon and betray you, how much you are in charge of or how many subjects you reign over, one truth remains. You are always your Heavenly Father's little girl first and foremost. He knows you better than you even know yourself and loves you just as you are. Your song has become my prayer.

'God, save our noble Queen. God, save our gracious Queen. God, save the Queen. Amen.' "😔

Love always, Laura-Lee