Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

February 20, 2021

Cinderella: Our Story





I may as well state it up front that I am about to "out" my age on the internet. And on purpose this time. 

The year was 1974 and what a year that was for me! Filled with both good and bad. I was about to have the most tumultuous year I had yet known. We bought my beloved farm in Sundre, Alberta at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, which is still my "Happy Place" that I turn to all these decades later. It was also the last year we would live with my father. But as my seventh birthday approached in May I was unaware of any of those things.


 Mom turned to me one night and asked,

 "Is there anything special you would like to do to celebrate your birthday, Laura-Lee?"

She didn't have to ask twice or even wait for my reply. I answered immediately,

"I'd like to go and see a movie. In a cinema."

It was something I had never done before. 

"Which one do you want to see?"

Mom didn't have to wait for the answer to that either. The " Wonderful World of Disney", which broadcast every Sunday night here in Canada on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), had been advertising their animated version of Cinderella pretty steadily and I wanted to see it pretty "badily".

"Cinderella!"

I smile now as I look back remembering that Mom instantaneously knew what Cinema it was playing at and what date and time on my birthday, without consulting a newspaper or phoning anyone.

(God bless our mothers who know us so well!)

But what was a surprise was when the evening of my birthday arrived and Mom was helping me into my "good coat" over my pretty, pink dress and Dad came into the room wearing his jacket too. He was also somewhat dressed up and I asked him,

"Are you going out too, Dad?"

"I most certainly am, Pumpkin." He responded with a wink and continued, 

"I hear you're going to a really good movie and I thought I would come along too."

"Oh. I don't think you'll  like it." I stated bluntly, suddenly feeling the pressure for him enjoying himself considering I was the one who had chosen the film.

"Well then maybe I'll come along just because it's your birthday."

I looked at Mom who was smiling and realized this was the "little surprise" she had been alluding to and I thought,

"I wonder how she talked him into this one."

But I shrugged and said quietly and nonchalantly, 
"Okay. Suit yourself." 

But inside I was feeling all sorts of tension and (though I hate to admit it) I was wishing he would have found a way to worm out of it because this happy experience would be ruined by his presence.

So the emotionally charged stage was set for me to see my first movie-theatre movie.

For anyone who has seen Cinderella, which has since become a Disney classic, you know what an amazing film it is. I even remember glancing at Dad periodically and seeing him actually enjoying himself too.

And with my pop corn tub firmly in my grip, a parent on either side of me, in a pitch black theatre, surrounded by total strangers, on my birthday, that magical story was told yet again. It weaved its way around and into my heart on a foundational level and set my feet on a course. Because ultimately that fairytale of a young orphan girl, abused and mistreated as a servant in her own home, whose destiny it is to marry a prince and rule a kingdom by his side is the story of us all.

We live our lives abused, hurt and betrayed by those who are supposed to be caring for us completely unaware that we are called to something better. Among the ash heap we are  actually princesses in disguise or imprisoned not realizing that the Prince is seeking us diligently and will stop at nothing until He finds us and makes us his Bride.


This past week a recurring theme for me in the Scriptures has been "peace" and Jesus as the "Prince of Peace". I was looking for a way to end an email message and went to all the epistles of the apostle Paul to see how he had signed off his letters (a fascinating study I suggest you also do) and discovered how often he does so by wishing "grace and peace" to the readers. Not to mention the angels who proclaimed the arrival of Jesus to the shepherds living in a field near Bethlehem by saying,

"Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.”

 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:

 'Glory to God in the highest,

And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!” (emphasis mine)

 (Luke 2:10-14)


You know, I just couldn't have said it any better myself or wish you anything greater than knowing the Prince of Peace personally.  He has lived with me, and within me, for  many years. He is coming for us soon. Which is something every lonely princess longs for. Even Snow White (and Linda Ronstadt and Barbara Streisand) knew it when she sang, "Someday My Prince Will Come". 

Those words echo in my heart and throughout each day even stronger now than all the previous decades. 


Enjoy a joyful, restful and PEACEful Sabbath everyone.

Love Always, Laura-Lee



Paul’s Valedictory (from his final letter)

I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.  (NIV Emphasis Mine)

(2 Timothy 4:6-8)


Do you long for peace but just can't seem to find it?

That's because true and lasting peace can only be given by the Prince of Peace. He is available. All you have to do is ask Him for it, yield to Him and receive it as His free gift. It is my continuing prayer that you do this.

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  (John 14:27)

LINK All of John 14


Also for your consideration. Cinderella has the memory of a short but glorious dance with the prince, who she loves  before she even knows his true identity. Then she is allowed the joy of holding onto one slipper as a reminder of the brief time they had together.

Also, she tries to make a dress for the ball on her own and, as pretty as it is, it gets ripped to shreds and is pale in comparison to the one she finally gets when she is transformed.








If the slipper fits, wear it. 

 










LINK to Snow White Singing
 "Someday My Prince Will Come" (sigh)

https://youtu.be/HLQ2sYxktMQ


LYRICS Someday My Prince Will Come
Once there was a princess
Was the princess you?
And she fell in love
Was it hard to do?
It was very easy
Anyone could see that the prince was charming
The only one for me
Was he strong and handsome?
Was he big and tall?
There's nobody like him
Anywhere at all

Did he say he love you?
Did he steal a kiss?

He was so romantic
I could not resist
Someday my prince will come
Someday we'll meet again
And away to his castle we'll go
To be happy forever I know
Someday when spring is here
We'll find our love anew
And the birds will sing
And wedding bells will ring

Someday when my dream come true


"Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool."

 (Isaiah 1:18)