Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

June 13, 2020

Kitchens During World War 2 (Cookbook Review)

Betty Crocker Lost Recipes: Beloved Vintage Recipes for Today's KitchenBetty Crocker Lost Recipes: Beloved Vintage Recipes for Today's Kitchen by Betty Crocker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's hard not to like Betty Crocker and when she (they) go back into history there is definitely something to like.

This cookbook of tried and true recipes is Betty Crocker's (the company, not the person) salute to kitchens and cooks of the past. I was happy to browse through the recipes that made me very hungry. I didn't actually make any of the recipes, but I had an ebook version from my local library predominantly to see if it was something I would like to spend my money on to buy a (paper) hardcopy since I find an ebook useless in my kitchen. (Gets my tablet all full of flour and greasy fingerprints)

What I was disappointed in is that it didn't have enough of the past and didn't go far enough back into the past. It focused mostly on the 1940s and 1950s and I would have enjoyed something that immersed me even deeper into that time. But it was definitely enjoyable to see how a party was thrown back then, how women's lives revolved around the kitchen and the kitchen (and consequently the mom) was the heart and heartbeat of the family. (They are referred to as the "GOOD old days" for a reason.)

I should also tell you that since Betty Crocker prides itself on relevance and accuracy, things like measurements and ways of doing things are updated and included so that you can take a trip to the kitchen of the past in your kitchen of today.

I hope this review helps and if you happen to get this book and try one of the cookie recipes you know where to find me! 🍪 🙋‍♀️ 🇨🇦

Sincerely, Laura-Lee (Was Here)

View all my reviews