Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

November 30, 2019

LOOK OUT for the Poor!




Many people don't like to think about the poor. It makes them uncomfortable. Perhaps that is one of the reasons the poor are invisible and, as Jesus said, are always with us. Another reason could be that the poor feel very embarrassed and even ashamed to be poor. So they purposely remain hidden. There is great shame to admit you're poor because most people will judge and ridicule you, right to your face. You may even risk having your children taken away.

I know this because I grew up poor and my mother before me and my grandmother before her. I know what it's like to live in a car. I have missed many meals. I have stolen toilet tissue from public washrooms. This isn't in a third world country but right here in North America. And unfortunately my story is not a rare one. The worst thing about poverty is the hopeless, grinding nature of it. Often poor people are in a family where the members have more than one job. Parents not only wondering how to clothe and feed their children, but if they will ever get enough education to allow them to get out of the poverty cycle.




I remember a time when a young lady stood at my apartment door shy and embarrassed. She asked me if I had a spare piece of moldy fruit that I could give her. She couldn't even look me in the eye. I quickly tried to put her at ease, invited her in and told her that I definitely had something for her. I went through my fridge, I went through my cupboard and was able to get her several things. Also I had just cooked my supper and was able to give her half of it.



There is a misbelief that the poor are lazy, stupid, taking money from the government and spending all day in a recliner, watching television and getting drunk. This is not only inaccurate, but evil because it's a lie. Actually, the majority of poor people are the Working Poor. They spend night after night laying awake worrying and trying to figure, think and scheme their way into getting shoes, eye glasses, medical help, food and money for rent and utilities. 



I am asking you to keep your eyes open because more than likely they are your neighbours or at least someone you come in contact with on a regular basis. And you would be surprised how much one person can change the lives of a poor family. Helping someone out of the poverty cycle is a feeling unprecedented!



As you watch yourself going into debt this Christmas for gifts that probably won't last a year, try discovering the poor people in your life and feel the joy of knowing you've changed a life forever.

I long and pray for the day when the poor are not invisible but rather nonexistent. 

Thank you for stopping in for a visit.

With love always, Laura-Lee


Find your family size. Could you live on that income?
Canada's Poverty Statistics

I saw the film, "Hidden in America" starring Beau Bridges about 20 years ago. Still the best movie about the invisible poor.



The second most accurate film is "The Pursuit of Happiness" starring Will Smith. However, since he was only poor for a few months, it doesn't depict the hopelessness of being poor year after year.