Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

May 23, 2013

Darlene Zschech: REVEALING JESUS DEVOTIONAL (Review)


 Darlene Zschech
 
 

Once again that lovely publishing company “Graf-Martin” has asked me to review a book, which I am always happy to do.

As you know by now, I am an avid reader. Going way beyond the “Bookenitus Wormochious” classification. I love to get a new book with it’s clean, smooth white pages (which I will immediately change when my pencil and highlighters come out). Then I get the joy of finding out how another human being thinks. Feels. Processes their world. [sigh] It makes me feel so privileged.

However, … there are a few exceptions. And one of them is the “tie-in”. You know what that is. When one thing makes money and everyone at Corporate Headquarters gets together in a big board room and tries to figure out how to milk more money out of the first idea that already made a bunch of money. In most cases it works for them. They make a bunch more money. But the next item they “crank out” is merely a pale image of the original.

Being a Christian for many (many) years, I already know about Darlene Zschech. The Australian singer who brought us one of the most famous worship songs ever: “Shout to the Lord”. (I’ve sung and worshipped by it very often).

But for those of you not “in the know”, as I am, let me give you a quick idea who Darlene Zschech is.
She is an Australian singer/song writer/ worship leader who has been involved with the Hillsong Church in Sydney for many years. She has travelled all over the world singing many songs, giving many concerts, winning many awards, making many Cd's, meeting and helping many people and now lives in lovely New South Wales with her handsome husband, Mark, as they minister as Senior Pastors at the Hope Unlimited Church and live out their happy life together.

And since her in-concert CD/DVD called “Revealing Jesus” did so well, the 'Corporates' got together and said, “how do we make more money from this?” The Darlene Zschech T-Shirt? Handbag? Paperweight? I know. Darlene Zschech action figure. Then some Board Member got the brilliant idea that Darlene could maybe ‘whip off’ a 365 Day Devotional. That way people would think about Darlene Zschech every day of the year. Who ever had that bright idea … [pause], I think I will owe a lot some day.

Now you know the attitude I have for tie-ins and the of frame of mind I had when I cracked open my copy of “Revealing Jesus: A 365 Day Devotional” by Darlene Zschech.

This is my first time reviewing a daily devotional and it presented me with a problem. I didn’t have 365 days to review it and a devotional is not meant to be “crammed” into my brain as fast as possible. You take it a little at a time and let it sit with you for the whole day. So what I decided to do was not worry if I got through the entire thing. I reached for it 3 times per day, reading from different times of the year. Then, even if I didn’t have an entire day, at least I would have several hours to mull things over. I didn’t make it all the way through, but I think I know enough to give you an adequate review.

Even though the book is called, “Revealing Jesus” it also reveals a great deal about Darlene (which is why I call her by her first name now). As most of you know, my mother died at the end of March, so I am still deep in the grieving process. Plus my mother lived a life of excessive suffering for which I had a front row seat. So the first things I realized about “Revealing Jesus” and what Darlene had to say is that she is familiar with suffering. The ‘up close and personal’ type of familiar. But also she is familiar with Jesus. The ‘up close and personal’ type of familiar.

The Devotional is designed that each day equals a page. And each page begins with a small portion of the Bible. One or two verses at most. Then Darlene tells us her thoughts and revelations about that portion of Scripture and at the bottom of the page you will find a prayer. These elements are meshed together to lead you to the Bible, to prayer time and ultimately, to Jesus.

This book is a bit of a misnomer because, although Darlene does reveal much about Jesus, what she does most is lead you to Jesus, where he reveals himself. It almost felt as if each day Darlene would show up, encourage me herself and then take my hand and lead me to the only person who can truly heal my wounds and guide my future. I suspect that was her intention all along.

I’m not sure if it’s her Australian heritage, but I’ve also noticed she approaches the Bible in a unique and interesting way. She uses Scripture verses that not many people talk about (who spends days delving into the book of Philemon?!) and she brings my attention to things I’ve never thought of before. When she quotes from the Scripture, she has deeply considered the frame of mind and circumstances the person writing was experiencing. It not only demonstrated her extensive knowledge of the Bible, but also added dimensions to the verses. It encouraged me to think beyond the page and outside the box. Which is usually when you begin to know the real Jesus. We can only begin to know him when we except that we will never know ALL of him while still on this earth in our limited state. But by “revealing Jesus” Darlene gives us the sense of how all encompassing Jesus is. A taste of the “splendor of his majesty”. People usually discover this truth through music and worship mostly, so it doesn’t surprise me that Darlene knows all about God’s ‘bigness’.

This book was not ‘whipped off’. It is the culmination of a lifetime. A life spent meditating on God's Word, living out her faith, learning through experience (much of it painful) and simply and deeply loving Jesus through it all. I’m grateful to Darlene for  sharing what she knows and sharing intimate parts of herself with the rest of us. She will indeed be with me throughout the year. Daily nudging me to go to Jesus, learn from his humble and loving ways and allowing him to be revealed through me as well. I believe that with the launch of this devotional, a crop will be planted that will see Jesus revealed in all sorts of places and circumstances. Wonderful things will happen when we take our faith “out of the box” and reveal Jesus to a desperate world that’s hungry, lonely and afraid.

And if all that isn’t enough for you, let me tell you this. Even though I also love Jesus dearly, this season of grief has left me much of the time in a lonely place where it feels like the oxygen has been sucked out of the room. But Jesus used this devotional to refresh me, comfort me and to speak to me. If He has given this book a “good review”, how can I do less?

It receives my highest. 10 out of 10 Golden Christian Fishes.




And by the way, if someone could get me the name and address of the person who suggested this book to Darlene, I owe him/her at least a “Thank You” card.

Keep scrolling down to get the LINKS you’ll need to discover more for yourself.

Love Laura-Lee



P.S. FYI. If you wish to purchase either the book or the CD/DVD combo, click on these Christian Book Distributors (CBD)  Links below to get a wonderful bargain (just because you came to "Laura-Lee Was Here"). But I've also added the Links to the "Revealing Jesus" pages at Amazon (Canada) and Amazon (USA).



211206: Revealing Jesus: A 365-Day Devotional


 
Revealing Jesus: A 365-Day Devotional
By Darlene Zschech
CD58791: Revealing Jesus (CD-DVD Combo) Revealing Jesus (CD-DVD Combo)
By Darlene Zschech

From the original songwriter of dozens of today's most performed songs comes a live worship project that seeks to make Christ known to all! Featuring guest appearances from Michael W. Smith, Kari Jobe, Israel Houghton and others, Revealing Jesus includes "God Is Here," "All That We Are," "Best for Me," "Victor's Crown," and more. CD/DVD edition includes audio and video of the performance, captured at the Church of the Highlands in Birmingham, Alabama.



DARLENE ZSCHECH Website Homepage

DARLENE ZSCHECH at YouTube

Baker Publishing: Info on Revealing Jesus Devotional

Graf Martin Communications (Promotions)

Revealing Jesus from Amazon Canada

Revealing Jesus from Amazon (USA)





"My Jesus, I Love Thee" from Darlene Zschech (featuring Michael W. Smith on keyboards)