Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

March 27, 2013

Good-Bye Mom: Passing of Irene Rahn (nee Martel)



(February, 1941 – March, 2013)

Mom Christopher Cres Burnaby
IRENE - 1980 (39 years old)

On the morning of Saturday, March 23, 2013, at the age of 72, my beloved mother, Irene (Martel) Rahn, left her broken and pain filled body to enter the Kingdom of her lifelong Lord, Saviour, Redeemer and King, Jesus.

No services will be held.


However, she had a deep heart of compassion for the homeless and one of her final requests was that, in lieu of flowers, you send a donation to:

Hope Mission
P.O. Box 953
Edmonton, AB
T5J 2L8
Phone: 780-453-3877


She is well known to Hope Mission and they have set up a memorial fund in her name.

Simply write: “In Memory of Irene Rahn” on your cheque OR
mention her name when you give online:

www.hopemission.com

(But if you wish to give anonymously that’s fine too. The important thing is that you give).

I, her daughter Laura-Lee, am in complete sympathy with her wishes.

Jesus, in his infinite mercy, gave both Mom and myself all the strength and peace needed for her final journey.

For those of us she leaves behind, her request is that we be comforted and remember her while reading

 Psalm 16 (especially verses: 5-11)

                 and

 Isaiah 26 in the Bible.

She can also be remembered by reading many of the posts here. (She permeates all of them).

I especially direct you to the previous post:

"Love in a Neon Orange Lunch Box"

Which has consistently remained the most viewed entry worldwide since it was  originally posted.


With deepest sincerity,
her daughter, Laura-Lee

Irene wed 1960
Her Wedding - 1960




"A song from me, Sweet Mama. I'll sing "Glory" to Jesus from here and you make sure He knows I mean it.
Love Your Laura-Lee (BOTH of Yours)"

*Press the PLAY button on the "TUNE-Glory"




  Lyrics to song "GLORY" 

One day eyes that are blind will see You clearly
One day all who deny will finally believe
One day hearts made of stone will break in pieces
One day chains once unbroken will fall down at Your feet
So we wait for that one day, come quickly

Chorus:
We wanna see Your glory
Every knee falls down before Thee
Every tongue offers You praise, With every hand raised
Singing glory, to You and unto You only
We'll sing glory to Your name


One day voices that lie will all be silenced
One day all that's divided will be whole again
One day death will retreat and wave it's white flag
One day love will defeat the strongest enemy
So we wait for that one day, come quickly


Chorus:
We wanna see Your glory
Every knee falls down before Thee
Every tongue offers You praise, with every hand raised
Singing glory, to You and unto You only
We'll sing glory to Your name

Bridge:
We know not today or the hour
Or the moments in between
But we know the end of the story ... When we'll see ...

Your glory
Every knee falls down before Thee
Every tongue offers You praise, with every hand raised
Singing glory to You and unto You only
We'll sing glory to Your name, oh one day




IRENE (MOM): A Life in Photos





Driftpile 1947 (first communion dress)

July, 1965










June 1960


1980 
Home from Work (with her sister, Faye)
 Our "Famous" Green Station Wagon in background



Red "Christmas" Socks 1981

Christmas Sandwich making 
(and goofing around) 1981


1984 (my brother's 21 Birthday) 
Laura-Lee (finger ears) & Irene (Mom)


1956 - 15 years old





1956 - with sister, Faye and brother, Harvey
 (and cat, Binky)





" Here Mom put on this nifty COFFEE FILTER HAT I made for your birthday." ---- "OKAY!"
 



  2005

"Never too Old School for Cool. Right Mom?"










F.Y.I.

Mom's obituary in the Edmonton Journal  Saturday, March 30, 2013. (Click on LINK Below)

Edmonton Journal Obituaries (IRENE RAHN)






*Most Popular Previous Blog Entry about Mom (Click on LINK Below)

"LOVE in a Neon Orange Lunch Box" (Previous Blog Entry)





LAST PHOTO OF MOM (IRENE)



 Mom (with me on my Birthday, May 2012)




SAFELY HOME

I am home in Heaven, dear ones,
Oh, so happy and so bright,
There is perfect joy and beauty
In this everlasting light

All the pain and grief is over,
Every restless tossing passed,
I am now at peace forever,
Safely Home in Heaven at last!

Did you wonder, I so calmly
Trod the valley of the shade?
Ah, but Jesus' love illumined
Every dark and fearful glade.

And He came Himself to meet me,
In that way so hard to tread,
And with Jesus' arm to lean on
Could I have one doubt or dread?

Then you must not grieve so sorely,
For I love you dearly still,
Try to look beyond earth's shadows;
Pray to trust our Father's will.


(*Thank you C. and K. for sending the poem and your kind words about Mom.)







To Those who supported me through this journey, I especially thank you for your prayers. I could feel them sustaining me through these dark days.
Please remember to pray for me still. Now comes the enduring task of facing each day of the rest of my life without the company of my closest and truest friend.


Love Always, Laura-Lee








"Thanks for the lovely "Princess Dress", Mom"

"But who do I go streaking with now?"



UPDATE: March 19, 2016, Saturday

Out of my more than 200 posts, this one continues to remain in my top 5. 
I honor Mom by trying to live the way she taught me.
 Below are a few LINKS to other popular posts about her.

 Thank you for remembering with me and continuing to pray for me. (Both matter more than you probably realize)

Love Laura-Lee


"The Night Mom Passed Away" POEM by Me


My Dark Tunnel in the Night (Dream)


Mom Memory "Got Milk?"







>