Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

May 30, 2022

Raising the Standard: What Does Your Flag Mean?

 



At my "little Christian high school", Vancouver Christian Secondary School (which I have made famous from all the stories I've told about it through the years), the Canadian flag had to be raised on the flag pole every morning then taken down at the end of every school day.

In my final year at VCSS there were no guys who volunteered to do this so my friend Kim and I glanced at each other, exchanged knowing looks, and raised up our hands. There was nobody else so we did it EVERY DAY through the entire school year!

It was quite a commitment. It required we got there early every morning, get out a ladder, hook up the flag, hoist it up the pole, hook up the rope, then bring the ladder back.

THEN we had to do the reverse at the end of the day. Of course, Kim and I always sang "O, Canada" while standing at attention each time. Twice a day. Even on those many cold, rainy, Vancouver winter days. (BTW it rains 400 days out of every year in Vancouver.)

For me personally, because I had to take two buses to school and back, it meant getting up 30 minutes earlier and getting home from school 30 minutes later. But the good thing is that I spent a great deal thinking about Canada, our flag and what my country meant to me.

And on the days when I was wet and cold and in the rain, hauling a ladder around and felt like complaining because of the "massive sacrifice" I was making, the Lord RE-focused me on the men who actually went to war and DIED for the things I was enjoying. Oh, like say, FREEDOM!

Now you understand a bit better why I do NOT wish to merely surrender CANADA into the hands of a few, uber-rich, global elites none of whom were voted into power.

Have you ever taken a moment to literally raise and display YOUR country's flag? 

Have you even taken a few moments to look at it recently and think about what your country means to you? 

Will you just allow it to be handed over and out of existence for the sake of "getting a normal life back"? (Which, BTW, is never going to happen. Our lives are forever altered and those in charge have either no ability or intention of helping you.)

Think about it.


Truth, with Love,

Always, Laura-Lee 


"So shall they fear the name of the Lord from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19)


  


Flag at Vancouver Christian School these days.

It looks VERY different to the one-story, previously uninhabited, former elementary school that we had. 

Ah. The good ol' days. 😊





My Grad class of 1985 meeting for a reunion 35 YEARS later!
That's "Kimmie".

Y'all look pretty good for your age, I must say. 😲
Kickin' it "old school". 😎