Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

September 18, 2008

Absolute Dollar Store Kicked Me Out

I just love to go into the Absolute Dollar Store ( Jasper Gates Mall, 15007 Stony Plain Rd, Edmonton, AB, Canada) and look at all the cool stuff. It amazes me what good things I can get for only one dollar. On their door is the sign, "you must give up large bags and knapsacks", but I've never been asked to do that.

Two weeks ago I was on my way to visit my mother and I was carrying an overnight bag. I went into that store and was told I had to give my bag to the cashier. I refused because it contained several personal items and a few hundred dollars of medication. I was asked to leave. I couldn't believe it. I'm the kind of person who carries dirty Kleenex around until I find a proper garbage bin because I don't want to litter. I shook off the bizarre experience and thought, "maybe it's just some dollar store employee with power issues".

Now, today I went back to the Absolute Dollar Store and picked up a green shopping basket as I entered the door. I was just reaching for a roll of paper towels when I hear someone yell, "Madame. Madame!" I looked up and saw an employee about 30 feet away waving. I asked, "Are you talking to me?". She yelled, "you'll have to give up your bag to the cashier". I looked down and all I saw was my green, eco-friendly Safeway shopping bag. I had just been to London Drugs and the bag contained a few computer supplies. I walked up to her and said, "I'd rather not give up the bag because it contains some expensive things. Would it be alright if I allow you to look in it before I leave the store?" She responded, "You have to give the bag to the cashier at the front. It'll be safe there." I said, "If you don't trust me, then how do I know I can trust you?" Once again, I was asked to leave.

I'm still pretty shocked. In school I was never even sent to the principals office or had a detention. Now, to be kicked out of a dollar store... twice! I thought, "why don't they just invest in some scanners by the door. It would be a lot smarter than insulting everyone who walks in with a shopping bag." I mean , it is a MALL. There's bound to be several people carrying bags. Or maybe I just have the face of a criminal. I figured that maybe they think they can treat their customers that way because they assume most of them have a low annual income.

All the people that I told " you must stop by the Absolute Dollar Store because there's so much great stuff there", I take it back. Unless you wish to be VERY publicly humiliated , then I would suggest you go to one of the other dollar stores.

I admit that I will miss going there, but I'm rather shy and my ego just isn't big enough to endure being publicly demeaned ... even for a good deal. I'd rather pay extra and be treated with the common decency and politeness that is due everyone, not just the people who have money. I suppose poor people will just have to endure the abuse. Doesn't quite ring fair, does it? Why don't you leave a comment and tell me what you think.

Take a look at my photo too. Do YOU think I look like a thief?