Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

March 10, 2020

My Letter to the Edmonton Public Library







An Issue That Needs Attention Now


Below is a an email I just sent to my local library. I thought you might find it interesting too.


Firstly, I adore the library as a concept and the epl in particular and secondly, I realize money doesn't grow on trees, however ... 

When I look at my Holds list I am tempted to despair. I don't mind waiting 3 to 6 weeks for a couple people ahead of me, but when I see that my Hold for Agency by William Gibson in the ebook format has me at #21 on just 4 copies, I sense I may be waiting a LONG time. And when I see that for Middlegame by Seanan McGuire I am #18 on 3 copies and The Five by Hallie Rubenhold has me at #12 on 3 copies, I sense a pattern emerging. Plus, whenever my Libby app tells me how many people are waiting to receive a copy of whatever book I'm reading, I feel huge pressure because I can sympathize for them. For the first time I'm pushing myself to hurry and read because there are people (not person) waiting for their chance. As if there are 4 people standing over me watching me while I read, with their arms crossed and toe tapping? It doesn't create the best mood for reading. 

Now mix in the factors of feeling guilty when I renew because I've made people wait for another three weeks and that I often DNF a title when more than 5 people are waiting for it and I can't help but wonder if perhaps something can't be done. I usually have about 8-10 titles Borrowed and HALF of them have someone waiting for it. That seems like a lot to me. These are all ebooks versions (which will take over eventually) and all of them were VOTED as the best by the public. So I suspect they will be around and popular for quite some time. I'm sure to soon become modern classics like Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. (#7 on 2 copies. My best odds so far.)  [sigh]

Sincerely, Laura-Lee

Thanks for stopping by again to check in on me. LL 



* Perhaps you might want to check into this at your local library and see just what they spend their money  on.

Edmonton Public Library Link


Goodreads Link (Ultimate Book lovers Social website)


UPDATE It's only been a few hours and I've received a response to my email. It states that the lack of ebooks is due primarily to a block by Macmillan publishing not allowing Libraries to buy unlimited amounts. There is a petition against this practice on the EPL website. I have included a LINK below the copy of the email message I received in it's entirety.

I wish to make it clear that I sent the letter to improve my public library, not to merely criticize it. I have spent my life in libraries.  I think they are a fabulous Treasure Trove of information made absolutely free to the public. I encourage everyone to get a library card. I cannot get out as much as I used to and I wholeheartedly am  grateful to the Edmonton Public Library for all the information that I can access through them.

 Sincerely Laura-Lee



RESPONSE FROM EPL:

Mar 10 2020, 02:12pm via System

Hi there --

Thank you so much for your  comment about the wait times for ebooks.

As of Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 Macmillan Publishing released a new lending model which limits public libraries’ ability to purchase more than one copy of any new Macmillan eBook release.

With this new lending model EPL must wait eight weeks before buying any additional eBook copies. As a result, wait times for some eBooks have increased. This change is not only inconvenient for many customers, but more importantly, it creates a barrier for those who depend on EPL for accessing digital information.

EPL remains committed to providing access to all kinds of books, information and resources, and connecting you with titles you want to read in the formats you want them. However, this change makes it more difficult for us to provide equal access to materials and resources to all members of our community.

You can help us stand up for equal access to eBooks and our ability to buy and lend the digital content you want by signing the petition mentioned below.

If you would like some additional information, I also included a blog article from our CEO about Macmillan and also an interview with our Director of Branch Services and Collections Sharon Day.  She has done a lot of awareness-building about this issue.

I have also included a link below to another great eResource we got access to this past year called CloudLibrary Express.  They provide 7 day access to ebooks and eAudiobooks.

Thank you for your support.

Susan



Stand Up for ebooks Sign MacMillan Petition