Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

April 06, 2024

"Footprints in the Sand " is Biblically WRONG❗️

 



If you're a Christian (or you know a Christian) you are probably familiar with the poem, "Footprints in the Sand". It came out several decades ago and everyone in Christianity embraced it wholly and immediately. It was put on greeting cards, tapestries,, t-shirts ,tote-bags, wallets, travel  mugs and even coffee table coasters.

A myriad of different illustrations were created to go with it, but they were usually just a variation on the one original picture.









For those of you not familiar with it (or need a refresher) here it is again.


"One night I dreamed a dream.

As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.

Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.

For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,

One belonging to me and one to my Lord.


After the last scene of my life flashed before me,

I looked back at the footprints in the sand.

I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,

especially at the very lowest and saddest times,

there was only one set of footprints.


This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.

"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,

You'd walk with me all the way.

But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,

there was only one set of footprints.

I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you

Never, ever, during your trials and testings.

When you saw only one set of footprints,

It was then that I carried you."



When doing some online research for this post, I discovered that many non-christians, or people unfamiliar with the Bible who also loved this poem wanted to know where in the Bible it was located.

 Christians had to admit that it wasn't in the  Bible and it wasn't linked to one specific Bible verse. Basically, it was just a lovely poem and idea that we could interpret as we wished and apply whatever Bible verses we wished to it. Which is exactly what we all do 


When I first read the poem I felt the same as everybody else. I thought it was lovely and comforting, but something about it niggled me and I couldn't figure out what until just very recently.

It bothered me because it is Biblically inaccurate and based on unsound doctrine. 


Now, before all you Christians have a complete meltdown over what I just said and start raising a posse to hunt me down to tar and feather me, hear me out. You may be pleasantly surprised at what I discovered the Bible actually says about this.


"This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s." (2 Chronicles 20:15)



With the Hebrews fleeing from Egypt, Pharaoh and his warriors in Chariots ready to slaughter all of them and their backs to the uncrossable Red Sea …



" Moses answered the people, 'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still'.” 

(Exodus 14:13-14)


The Red Sea parted and they escaped. ALL by God’s mighty deliverance.



"Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob,

    all the remnant of the people of Israel,

you whom I have upheld since your birth,

    and have carried since you were born.

4 Even to your old age and gray hairs

    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.

I have made you and I will carry you;

    I will sustain you and I will rescue you."

 (Isaiah 46:3-4)



"He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble." (Luke 1:52)


And these words about Jesus were reiterated in Jemes.


"He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble." (James 4:10)


There it is. From both Old and New Testaments. We have nothing to fear when we give our lives to Jesus.


Do you want one more verse to show just how WRONG we got this?


"Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen."

(Psalm 77:19)


See, when you stick completely to the Bible, it's quite wonderful to discover you were wrong. 😊


The Truth with Love,

Always Laura-Lee