Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

June 17, 2012

Fathers Day Message for my Alumni

So many of you I met when you were only 13 years old when you first came to VCSS. I still hold most of you in my imagination as you were when you were those young teenagers. But when I meet you all over the Internet, at sites like Facebook, I see photo after photo of all your children. But it puzzles me because I keep thinking, "You can't be a father of a 16 year old boy, you're only 13 years old yourself ?!" Back in the "olden" days, when we attended high school, I saw the genesis of what kind of men and fathers you would become. And now as I look at you as you are are now, I know one thing very surely, you are a bunch of really proud Papas!

As many of you know, all the years I attended VCSS I was one of the very few families that didn't have a Dad at home because my parents had divorced. In the 5 years I attended Vancouver Christian Secondary School I never once set eyes on my father. I mailed him an invitation to my graduation but he never came. He didn't acknowledged my invitation or accomplishment with a phone call, a letter or even a card. Because of the type of person my fathers was, I spent my years with you always watching your fathers closely. I often heard you talk about your fathers, but mostly I heard you complain about them ("My Dad always wants to know where I am and where I'm going!"). The things you had to "endure" from your fathers were the things I longed for. A father who cared where I was, wondered what I did, asked about my grades at school, or interrogated the boys I was dating. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not stating , "Oh, poor me. I didn't have father", because it was just that fact that brought me to my Heavenly Father. But this Fathers Day, as you look to your own kids who will probably honour you with gifts, phone calls and maybe a few compliments, may I ask you for a favour? Look to your own memories of your young days, think of your fathers who made you the people and Dads you are now, and (if you are still fortunate enough to have your father around) give them a "thanks Dad" from you. And maybe say it with a little extra 'gusto' from me, who watched your fathers love you and felt the awe and privilege of being able to see it. Watching them brought me deeper understanding of what it meant to be loved by my Heavenly Father.


"Jesus, bless all the Dads who love their children enough to pass on God's love through demonstrating it and then bowing out so God can increase while they decrease. Amen."

Happy Fathers Day, my friends.


"The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less." (JOHN 3:29-30)

Vancouver Christian Secondary School Alumni Blog