Laura-Lee Was Here

Laura-Lee Was Here

January 12, 2008

A German Speaks to the Jews

Let me begin by saying that I am of German descent. I am also a dedicated Christian which means I spend a lot of time reading the Bible. I have developed a great sympathy for the Jewish people. They truly are chosen by God, evidenced by all the persecution they suffer. I feel a sense of shame about being German. The few German citizens who stood against Hitler can be counted on one hand and they are now famous because of the fact that there were so few Germans who stood against Hitler. Germans say, " I was only following orders", "I didn't know it was happening" or "It happened before my time". I have yet to hear one of them say, "I'm sorry". In my mind the German people will never know redemption until they admit what they have done wrong, because that is the first step to making those wrongs, into rights. So, here and now, I wish to apologize to all the Jewish people who have suffered under the hands of someone German. I know it is a drop in the bucket as to what kind of reparations you deserve but I am going to state that I am sorry it took place. We did it and there is no excuse good enough to undo the horrors done. I will spend my entire life trying to make it up to the Jewish people. It is a very small consolation after all the damage done, but as the survivors of the holocaust leave this earth for their eternal reward there will be fewer left to remember the way it really was. I for one will remember the dignity, strength, honor and perseverance of every Jewish person who walked into a shower room never to come out again. I will pass the truth on to the next generation and I will carry the true memories on as long as I live and will leave the pathetic excuses behind.
"May the Lord bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you."